In this session the users wanted to look at the Resource Manager. In the past we have discussed Default Content. In this session we looked at default content from the point of view of only having one single library file.
- 00:40 before we look at replacing a default content with a single file, we had a look at what default content is. There are a three main folders where default content is stored. This is divided into several folders. Resources have to be stored in the correct folder otherwise they will not appear when you need them.
- 03:44 using a hatch is an example we looked at all the locations where you can store default content. Then we looked at how we could simplify this down to a single file. Then we looked at other default content and how we could use a single file with it.
- 07:08 not all tools will work with a single library file. The framing member tool for example still requires your information to be stored in the default content. There are one or two other tools that are the same. I expect at some point these will all be updated so that they can use the same single file library as the other tools. If you still want to use a single library, you will have to import the resources into your current file and use them from there.
- 18:38 now that we know we going to use a single file for our library and all the default content. We need to look at how we can import the information from our existing default content into a single file. We spent most of the session looking at how to import the information into our library and how to manage it. I tend to put my resources into folders and there was a discussion about whether this was necessary.
- 50:39 after you have moved your resources you will have to refresh your library. In this movie we didn’t refresh the library because Vectorworks closed without saving. When we started Vectorworks up again we had a dialogue box requesting that we update our library catalogue. This is an important step and we discussed what it means.
- 55:15 we had a discussion about using the migration manager to copy the default content from one version of Vectorworks to the next. We felt that if you put all your default content into a single file upgrading every year would be easier. 59:54 we finished the session with a discussion about a template file. What information should be stored in the template and what information should be stored in your library? My feeling is that tool preferences should be in the template and tool resources should be in the library. So we looked at the this.
- 59:54 we finish the session with a discussion about the template and what information should be stored in the template and what information should be stored and your library. My feeling is that it does not matter whether you are using a single file or whether using the full default content folders, something should be stored in the template and something should be in the library. So we looked at the things that should be stored in the template.
Architect January 2017 pm