There is a lot talk about Building Information Modelling (BIM). Vectorworks has been able to work as a Building Information Modeler for many years now, but it seems that users are only just getting interested in BIM. Maybe it is because some countries are forcing professionals to use BIM on government projects. In the UK the Building Industry expects that within four years there will be widespread BIM adoption.
- Building Information Modeling (BIM) is an intelligent model-based design process that adds value across the entire lifecycle of building and infrastructure projects.
- BIM is actually a process that relies on information-rich models to help owners and AEC service providers to more efficiently plan, design, construct and manage building and infrastructure projects.
- Unlike CAD, which uses software tools to generate digital 2D and/or 3D drawings, BIM facilitates a new way of working – creating designs with intelligent objects. Regardless of how many times the design changes or who changes it, the data remains consistent, coordinated and more accurate across all stakeholders.
- Models created using software for BIM are intelligent because of the relationships and information that are built into the model.
- With BIM, the model is actually a complex database and the room is a database element that contains both geometric information and non-graphic data.